Modernisation of railway passenger coaches and speed
i. Large scale proliferation of Linke Hofmann Busch (LHB) coaches:
IR has decided to proliferate LHB coaches, which are technologically superior and have better riding and aesthetics. The Production Units of IR would be producing only LHB coaches from the year 2018-19 onwards.
ii. Improvements in EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) / MEMU (Mainline Electric Multiple Unit) rakes:
1. One air conditioned EMU rake with 3 phase Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor (IGBT) based propulsion has been introduced on 25.12.2017 in Western Railway. Electrics for production of 6 more air conditioned EMU rakes are also being procured.
2. Passenger Information System (PIS) has been provided in newly manufactured Alternating Current / Direct Current (AC/DC) and Air Conditioned (AC) EMU stock for Mumbai area.
iii. Speed of train coaches:
1. IR has decided to proliferate LHB coaches, which coaches are fit to run at a speed of 160 kmph for AC coaches and 130 kmph for non-AC coaches.
2. Semi high speed Gatimaan Express between Delhi and Agra is running at a maximum speed of 160 kmph.
3. One rake of LHB coach for Tejas Express running between Mumbai and Goa has been designed for a maximum speed of 200 kmph.
4.A SpecialRajdhani Express (No. 09004/09003) between HazratNizamuddin and Bandra Terminus has been introduced on 16.10.2017with a composition of 18 LHB coaches. It is hauled by 2 electric locos to provide greater acceleration which has resulted in the run time of about 13 hours 50 minutes.
iv. Manufacture of electric train set coaches:
141 Electric Train set coaches in 2018-19 and 11 in 2019-20 have been included in the Production Programme. The train sets will be semi high speed with distributed power, with quicker acceleration and contemporary passenger amenities.
v. Mid-Life-Rehabilitation (MLR) of coaches:
MLR work of Broad Gauge (BG) non-AC & AC coaches is carried out in three workshops, namely Parel (Central Railway), Jhansi (North Central Railway) and Bhopal (West Central Railway). The work includes complete overhauling of interiors of coaches. Considering the present scenario, around 1000 coaches per annum are likely to be given MLR during the next three years.
vi. Model Rake Coaches:
IR has planned to improve the interior of the Integral Coach Factory (ICF) design coaches. New interiors with more pleasing colours, aesthetically designed fittings, panelling, improved toilets, etc. will be provided in the existing coaches by refurbishing them during MLR. Work in 700 such Model rake coaches is being progressively carried out, out of which more than 100 Model rake coaches have already been turned out. Work of refurbishment of 3,000 ICF type coaches each has been given to ICF/Chennai and Central Organisation for Modernisation of Workshops (COFMOW)/New Delhi for awarding centralized tenders. Modern Coach Factory/Rae Bareli floated an Expression of Interest (EOI) for world class interiors of LHB coaches on 16.01.2018 and plans to begin manufacture of such coaches in 2018-19.
vii. New coaches and train services with better amenities:
1. Various premium services like Humsafar, Tejas, Antyodaya and coaches like DeenDayalu and Anubhuti, which have improved passenger amenities, have been introduced in service. More such coaches / services shall be introduced in the coming years. Utkrisht Double Decker Air-conditioned Yatri (UDAY) trains have been conceptualized as double-decker rakes with improved amentities and shall be inducted from 2018-19 onwards.
2. IR has launched Project Swarn with the objective of significantly improving the passenger experience. In total, 14 Rajdhani and 15 Shatabdi trains will be covered.
3. 2 rakes of Shan-e-Bhopal Express (Train No.12155/12156) have been upgraded at division level. Upgradation of 66 trains (140rakes) in divisions on lines of Shan-e-Bhopal Express shall be taken up from 2018-19 onwards.