Train-18 Exceeds 180kmph During Trials
- India’s first locomotive-less less train, known as Train 18, breached the 180 kmph speed limit during a test run on Sunday.
- Train 18 is capable of touching 200 kmph provided the rest of Indian Railways’ system such as tracks and signals permit.
- When this indigenously designed train is made operational, it will become country’s fastest train.
- With 16 coaches, the train will have the same passenger carrying capacity as that of the Shatabdi Express.
- It has aerodynamically designed driver cabins at both ends for quicker turn-around at destinations.
- The train sports an advanced regenerative braking system which saves power.
- The fully air-conditioned train offers better passenger comfort and safety, as all equipment are fixed under the carriage, so that more space is available on board.
- The General Manager of Integral Coach Factory expressed hope that ‘Train 18’ will commence its commercial run from January 2019.
To showcase Team ICF’s capability on technology front, a new train set ‘Train-18’ has been taken up for design and World-class, Aluminium body high speed train set called ‘Train -20’ will also be started. This will be the first-of-its-kind train set fully made in India when it rolls out from ICF in 2018. This fully air conditioned train set will contain self-propelled electrical multiple units running on undrslung 3-phase power packs. Best-in-class features like automatic plug doors, wider sound proof gangways, semi-permanent couplers, comfortable seating, infotainment, CCTV, fire detection systems, aerodynamically profiled driving ends and body will be incorporated.
Train 18 exceeds 180kmph during trial. The stability of water bottles at this speed is testament to the quality of workmanship and design of our engineers