Discount scheme on the vacant seats in trains having sitting accommodation of AC chair Car and Executive class
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF RAILWAYS
Commercial Circular No.40 of 2019
No.TC 11/2910/2016/Discounted Fares
New Delhi, dated 27/08/2019
The Principal Chief Commercial Managers,
All Zonal Railways
Managing Director, KRCL
Sub: Discount scheme on the vacant seats in trains having sitting accommodation of AC chair Car and Executive class.
With a view to improve occupancy in trains, Ministry of Railways have decided to delegate powers to Principal Chief Commercial Managers of Zonal Railways to introduce discounted fare scheme in trains with sitting accommodation of AC chair car and EC, subject to following
1. Applicability :
i. The scheme shall be applicable for all trains with AC chair car and Executive chair car accommodation like, Shatabdi, Gatimaan, Tejas, Double Decker, Intercity trains etc,
ii. Discount of up to 25% discount shall be given on the base fare. Reservation fee, superfast charge, GST, etc, as applicable shall be levied separately.
iii. Trains with monthly occupancy less than 50% in the previous year are eligible for discount. Competitive fare should be a criterion while deciding quantum of discount.
iv. Discount in fare can be given for the first leg of journey and/or last leg of journey and/or intermediate sections and/or end to end journey.
v. Discounted fare can be given for the full years or part of year or month wise or seasonal or for weekdays/ weekend.
vi. Catering, if any, shall be optional for trains with discounted fare.
2.Impact on previous schemes/discounts / concessions:
i. Further, graded discount (as in cash of Shatabdi train) and 10% discount after first chart preparation shall not be permitted in trains/ section of journey with discounted fare.
ii. Flexi fare, if applicable, shall not be applicable in trains/ section of journey with discounted fare
iii. Concessional tickets, tickets on PTOs, as per rule may be issued on the existing fare and not on the revised discounted fare.
iv. Tatkal quota shall not be earmarked in trains/ section of journey with discounted fare. Tatkal charges shall not be levied on the discounted fare.
v. The applicability of existing discounted scheme in following trains shall continue as per the existing discount principle
- 12007/12008 Chennai-Central Mysuru Shatabdi Express over Bengaluru-Mysuru-Bengaluru section,
- 12010 Ahmedabad-Mumbai Central Shatabdi trains over Ahmedabad-Vadodara section,
- 12042 New Jalpaiguri-Howrah Shatabdi Express over New Jalpaiguri-Malda Town section
3. For trains with inter-zonal O-D pairs/ destinations, discount in fare may be given in consultation with the PCCMs of other Zonal Railways / Managing Director in case of KRCL.
4. Zonal Railways shall make special efforts to review the occupancy of all applicable trains with composition CC & EC and examine as per above mentioned criteria for implementation of discounted scheme by 30.09.2019. If found feasible, the same shall be implemented w.e.f applicable Advance Reservation Period for the train on an experimental basis for an initial period of six months.
5. Further based on the comparative occupancy and earnings for the first four months of the implementation of the scheme, a report shall be sent to this office for further extension, if any, of scheme beyond six months.
6. A comparison for occupancy and earnings shall be made between implementation period vis-a-vis corresponding period of previous year,
7. CRIS shall make necessary changes in the software for the implementation of the scheme.
8. Kindly acknowledge receipt of this letter and check the instructions on the Indian Railways website www.i&diaia railways.gov>in under the head commercial circulars.
9. This issues with the concurrence of Finance Directorate of Ministry of Railways,
10. COM (PM)s in coordination with CPRO shall ensure wide publicity through print and electronic media, at stations through public announcements, notice boards, railway websites, etc.
11. This disposes off KRCL’s letters dated 10.09,2018 & 25.10.2018 and SR’s letter dated 03.10.2018 regarding discounted fare scheme.
Executive Director Passenger Marketing